Friday 16 March 2018

The Power of Dance - You can go your own way!

I shared with my friends at work yesterday how I miss dancing, how I look forward to festivals and weddings so much as it's the main space I get to dance like mad, that sweaty, smelly, free feeling, exhilarating dancing. Throughout my late teens and twenties I danced most weekends from funky house, to techno to indie disco's, funk and soul music lived in my bones and was such a huge part of my identity. 

Life changes though and those dancing beats become less and my hips stopped moving as much. 

It's strange as when I look back at my relationship with dancing it has brought so much goodness into my life, Sam and I met through our love of dirty indie, festivals are a huge part of my Summer fun, some of my favourite friendships were formed across a dance floor and one of my favourite memories of travelling was dancing wildly for 2hrs in Bali, no drink just coconuts. 

So why does it just stop being something we do and only something we enjoy when at an 'event' (as such). Is it about other people's expectations of us, is it the worry of judgement, is it that we don't have the opportunity?

Tonight I changed all that. I went to meet with a new reflexology practitioner today, for certain reason's I changed from my other practitioner and seeked Claire out through my acupuncturist.  We talked about a number of things in this first meeting and it felt more than just a reflexology appointment, after an incredible reflexology session we talked about my self care and things I could do to help my relationship with my body. One thing she recommended was to dance, to get home, put a song on a dance freely. 

and I did just that... and then I couldn't stop and danced more and more, I sweated, I jumped, I twirled and then Sam joined in and you know what... it was amazing. As I danced I cried the pain of so many things I have been feeling and allowed my body to move in the way it needed, it just felt so freeing and releasing and that power of dance was ignited in my bones again. 

So from a discussion yesterday to a reflexology appointment today to me moving my hips tonight, I am dancing again and I feel alive. Dancing literally is therapy! 

So go ahead, make your playlist, dance and feel how good it feels just to be free and wild, dancing to the beat of your own drum. 

My favourites from tonight:

1. Robyn - Dancing on my Own
2. Fleetwood Mac - Go your own Way
3. Detroit Emeralds - Feel the Need in Me
4. Inspiral Carpets - This is how it Feels
5. Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen



4 comments:

  1. I'M RIGHT OVER HERE WHY CAN'T YOU SEEEE MEEE OOOOHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and Loralai dance in the sitting room all the time. It feels so good doesn't it? I'm so happy you danced and cried, some goodness for your soul. Also Robyn - TUNEEE loads of love beautiful lady, Sarah Lou X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderous Sarah Lou, its what IRS all about isn't it, thanks for your kind message, all the loves back xx

    ReplyDelete