Thursday 2 June 2016

Writing with Enjoyment.

I was completing my bullet journal for June when I suddenly had the thought of blogging, I have been urging myself to put something together and have ideas in my mind but I haven’t been pulled to start, until this morning. As I wrote in my last blog entry I had decided to get an entry up as a bit of an update, I hadn’t written anything for so long and writing is something that helps me express and make sense.
After my blog entry I went back to my journaling, writing a diary has always been something i attempt to keep up, over the years it has come in many different forms and at times none at all.

I remember as a teenager having a forever friends diary i was obsessed with those cute tubby teddies and owned a lot of goodies with their smiley faces on. My diaries at those times were of first kisses, boyfriends, arguments with Mum, who my most recent bestfriend was and who had decided to bully me that day. I didnt open my heart but i remember a number of years back finding them and cringing at my words and behaviours.

Travel journals are what i feel take people back to diary writing, its like a standard thing you do when you go away, part of that 'going away pack' is the beautiful journal where you store all your tickets/ideas and adventures. It's funny how we document the holiday in a far away land but not the amazing adventure in the UK or two week holiday in Europe, Sam's idea made me smile when we travelled, he isnt a big writer and even had his diary given to him from is first trip 10yrs ago, this time though he decided to keep a journal, he decided that what was important to him was to document the beers/lagers he drank, at first i laughed but as the time went on, i got it, his journal filled up and he wrote scores and comments but also where he was when he drank it. The taste of that drink described and the words of where he drank it took him back when he reads through his diary, for me it was such a creative way to document but suited his style of journaling.

I also got back into journaling in a therapeutic stance a few years back and have shared this with a few friends who may have been having a rough patch, morning pages, i was studying with the Women and Girls Network www.wgn.org.uk/ and carried out a days training with Jackee Holder www.jackeeholder.com/ learning about how to use writing as a therapeutic tool, the day was incredible and i instantly left, buying a journal to carry out morning pages. Morning pages is a journal form carried out in the morning, it requires you to write three pages of writing, you just write what is in your mind, no thinking just letting your hand write and explore, when you come to the end you stop, close your journal, your not required to read your morning pages again, its a lovely form of processing what is in our minds by removing it and placing it elsewhere www.juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/morning-pages/ - this link gives you further information and explains it further. I dont write my morning pages every morning now but i do go back to it at times if i need to process a dream, woke up in a strange mood or if my mood has become low and i need a place to put it without burdening others.

My newest form of journaling however comes in the form of bullet journaling, for those who don’t know what that is, it’s a diary which allows you to be as creative as you want, you set the rules/pages and ideas. I had started one last year but couldn’t work out how I wanted it to work for me, after a bit of pinterest searching, seeking of my moleskin notebook and colouring pencils I started to plan and my bullet journal became alive again.


One of the things that has been great for me in my journal is processing what makes me feel good, what keeps my soul alive, I decided to keep an enjoyment tracker, not adding too much, but things I feel are manageable within the month, on each day I then colour in the square if I have managed to carry the activity out. Last month I managed a number of things however can see that some days I did nothing that I love, at one point three days in a row, that says so much for me at how we just keep on moving and sometimes don’t give ourselves the space to just be. Each week I teach my yogis to allow some time for themselves, however how can I preach what I don’t practise. The enjoyment tracker is helping me really take focus, for June I even added an extra enjoyment… let’s see how I get on.

So the question is how often do you manage to do things you enjoy?

I have added some images below of pinterest ideas that I can’t wait to add into my journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment