Tuesday 28 February 2017

Crochet Granny Square Blanket

Well it's finally complete, it's been in the making for years and i am so pleased with the end piece, the blanket started when i learnt to crochet just before heading off travelling, i started with a granny square and managed to pick it up easier then i thought. 
When heading off on our 2014 adventure i decided i wanted to still use my hands to craft and felt knitting maybe a bit too much effort so i thought with my hook and a few balls of yarn i could crochet squares in order to make a blanket. So with that.. the blanket started, the yarn was purchased and my crochet addiction started. I crocheted a number of squares when in the Himalayan mountains, the snow capped peaks and the colder air was a perfect place and even better i managed to buy more yarn from local women knitting on the street, I sent a number of squares home, a mish mash of colours, i soon realised there was no colour scheme to this blanket but a whirlwind of tones. 

When i arrived home i looked over my squares and realised there was a number with a brown edging so felt this would work as an outline, i then purchased more yarn to match the colours already crocheted and started to build on my squares. I will admit though my knitting did take over and the squares became nestled in a bag in the corner of the living room. 





I met a new friend last year and my crochet love came back, i started to bring my squares out again and started to see them grow. With buying our van i thought the blanket would be a treat for in there, so instead of the blanket being a work in progress it became the main project and i found myself crocheting away again, my squares building up and the blanket becoming more alive. 

In total i crocheted 143 squares, i must admit they werent all the same size but when i started to join the blanket together it didn't matter, it just felt it made the journey of the blanket and my crochet learning was there in front of me, the good squares and the not so great ones. I wasnt sure on a border so asked some friends and the consensus came back as navy being a strong contender, i decided to go with this and was really pleased with the match, i crocheted the edge carrying on with the treble crochet granny square, i did three rounds and felt that was enough, i was dying for it to come to an end to enjoy it's beauty. 

I am so pleased with the end result and feel the colours work great, it's going to be an ace van blanket and i am already planning another for the house. 






No comments:

Post a Comment