Sunday 18 June 2017

Wonderful Malham

I first visited the Yorkshire Dales just over a year ago with the famalam and since then I have ventured back there 3 times. It’s such a magic place and holds a special part in my heart. Over the year I have learnt more about the magic it holds and the life within it. A good friend lives in a village close by and being able to become part of Dale’s life has opened another world in this wonderful land.

Our first trip was a family holiday, with my brother being down South we decided to head to the country for the weekend, and the Yorkshire Dales was the chosen spot. My Mum and Ron had visited many times and knew Malham Cove. We stayed in a cottage in the village of Hebden which is a short drive to Malham. Malham Cove is an incredible limestone formation (the same stone as Ha Long Bay, Vietnam), the cove reminds me of the Giants Causeway with its large rock pavement at the top. The limestone cove was formed by a waterfall carrying meltwater from glaciers, as you walk out over the pavement you can see down onto the picturesque village of Malham and can spend a long time in awe of the surrounding views.

The walk to the cove takes you past Janets Foss, a waterfall where fairies supposedly live, up to Gordale Scar another limestone ravine featuring two waterfalls. You then head up over the Dales and along to climb up onto the cove then down to The Lister Arms, a tasty country pub in the heart of Malham Village.





I feel I have been lucky enough to see Malham in many ways, by visiting and staying not just as a tourist. I have been lucky enough to get to know some of the locals and make sense of the life it means to live in a tourist packed part of the UK, I have learnt the frustrations this brings but have shared the joy I find being a tourist, the warmth Malham brings and the goodness it spreads from its idyllic sights.



Each time I find a newness to enjoy and have climbed new hills, taking on Pikedaw, venturing high above Gordale Scar, looking down from a new angle. I have visited secret wishing wells, and learnt about Belted Galloway Cows, I have learnt the different ways of farming and held teeny lambs with no Mum’s. I have eaten wild garlic that grows in abundance and seen deer running wild along the dales nr Janets Foss. I have talked engagements, walking clubs and adopted dogs. I have been with our socks and without and managed a new walk each time or an added addition to a previous walk.




The last time we visited was my birthday and sadly the van was being repaired so we headed back to stay in canvas. We chose to stay at the same campsite we had planned in the van and booked a spot at  Gordale Scar Campsite  it’s a wonderful site, deep in the depths of the dales and a stone’s throw from Gordale Scar, and a short walk from the Lister Arms. The campsite has its pure positives but one thing I love after a hearty walk is a deep soak in a shower and sadly with no facilities it was baby wipes all the way, not as appealing, hey?

We took a big walk on the Saturday, heading to Malham Tarn and around, along Dry Valley then onto the Cove. We spied peregrine Falcons nesting in the cove and spent both evenings enjoying the fine tastes at The Listers. We walked back around 8pm, the sky was wonderful and the paths were so quiet we found it was just us three all the way to Janet’s Foss, we walked through the meadows of wild garlic and took in the deep delicious smells that surrounded us.



I know Malham is filled by tourists but for me it’s a special place that steals my heart each time. I know every time I leave I am already planning the next time we will be back, it holds such joy and I know will be a place that forever lives in the depths of my soul.





No comments:

Post a Comment