Tuesday 27 June 2017

Glastonbury not so Greatness


What a weekend of challenge and tears it has been this weekend, the weekend of Glastonbury when I should be frolicking in a field, covered in glitter in a spangly happy state, instead I found myself in front of a tv huffing and puffing at not being there. I took myself to bed Saturday to have a serious word with myself as I was not a happy Claire.

My journey with Glastonbury ticket buying has been so varied from 2002 – 2013 it changed every year, some years difficult, some easy, some hilarious but without fail I always managed to secure my space for the world’s best festival.  I remember buying my first ticket in 2002 from a local record shop in Glastonbury, I rang them, ordered 8 tickets and that was that. One year it took us 36hrs to get tickets, me and my friends took sleep shift patterns so there was always someone online, we succeeded and all attended for another year of fun and frolics. I worked one year and the ticket turned up in the pose in an explosion of glitter. Then another year I thought I would be away travelling however plans changed so I bought a ticket of ebay of the local milkman and was driven straight into the festival (only to find my friend working the gate as I walked up to show my overpriced piece of paper). It has been many years of lots of challenging Sunday’s – I think one year they went on sale at 11pm Saturday night but it’s always been filled with anxiety and excitement knowing if you win then it’s all worthwhile.

After much deliberation, we decided to take a year out in 2014 to go travelling, we were nearly flying back just for Glastonbury but realised how silly that was. I don’t know if this has been our eternal fate as since then our luck has gone downhill and two years we have missed out on tickets, we attended a wedding in 2016 so we were in a field celebrating which made up for it. 2015 and 17 have been our unsuccessful years and it has been a challenge. It hits a part of the soul that ignites the missing out feeling and watching bands you LOVE when live music is such a big part of your way then it’s a double whammy of gut wrenching sadness.


We had a whatsapp group with other friends to survive the weekend and kept our contact limited to friends there experiencing there first/second Glastonbury. I am sure there are plenty of you out there who has experienced the same or similar feeling so what is my next plan. Well I am in the midst of making one, to ensure ticket purchasing becomes less painful and trying to find a way in for life (easier said than done, hey). 

A selection of over the years shots....

2013

2013

2011

2010

2009

2008
2007

2002/2003

2002/2003




No comments:

Post a Comment